Every year I set a Goodreads challenge and every year I fail miserably.
This year I was tired of hearing my mom fuss at me for making my goal so high and me scrambling to read a ton of books in December.
I keep saying I am going to dig into my comic collection to win the challenge but I never get around to it.
Also December is my slow month at work.
But still… I was tired of getting picked on and fussed at.
I know how I can devour books.
This year, I decided to prove to myself I can still devour them the way I used to.
So I set my goal to 55 books. That is about half of what it was last year and way more than I have ever accomplished but I was on a roll from reading in December so I figured I could squash that in a year.
January was going to set the tone. I was focused and I had my secret weapon… my love of romance novellas.
JANUARY READING LOG
- A Tale of Two Cities: A Thanksgiving Novella by Alexandra Warren
- Tikka Chance on Me by Suleikha Snyder
- Leslie’s Curl & Dye by DL White
- Second Time Around by DL White
- A Tale of Two Cities: A Christmas Novella by Alexandra Warren
- Beach Thing by DL White
- The Zahir by Paulo Coelho
- The Night Before by Jacinta Howard
- A Thin Line by DL White
- Noelle The First by Nicole Falls
- Brave Hearts by Nicole Falls
- Started From A Selfie by Nicole Falls
- The Illumination of Ginger by Nicole Falls
- Sugar Butter Flour Love by Nicole Falls
- The Games We Play by Alexandra Warren
- The Lessons We Learn by Alexandra Warren
- If Only For The Summer by Alexandra Warren
- Let Us Dream by Alyssa Cole
So yeah… 18 books.
I discovered my favorite book by one of my favorite authors. A Thin Line by DL White hit me so hard I still haven’t returned in on Kindle Unlimited. This is primarily because she removed it from Kindle and I don’t want it to disappear. One day I will ask her if she has a print copy in the corner somewhere that I can buy. But until then, I am keeping it.
I also discovered a love for a few new authors with backlogs that make my mouth water and give me a mean case of writer envy. This was when I decided that I would not be publishing anything this year because… wow. I feel a bit inferior. These ladies can write their asses off.
I also noticed that this year’s challenge wouldn’t be that difficult and I might possibly meet it by the summer even with a bit of a slow down.
So in comes February. The shortest month of the year. Of course I won’t get many books in this month.
FEBRUARY READING LOG
- Hint of Spice by Christina Jones
- Love Grind by Shelly Ellis
- A Dash of Heat by Christina Jones
- A Touch of Sugar by Christina Jones
- Forbidden Rendezvous by Mel Blue
- Sweatpants Season by Danielle Allen
- Ariana by Ash Dylan
- A Girl Like Her by Talia Hibbert
- Untouchable by Talia Hibbert
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
- A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole
- A Duke by Default by Alyssa Cole
- Once Ghosted, Twice Shy by Alyssa Cole
- One Bed for Christmas by Jackie Lau
- A Perfect Holiday Fling by Farrah Rochon
- Between A Rock and a Hot Mess by Phyllis Bourne
- Between A Honeymoon and a Hot Mess by Phyllis Bourne
- A Good Night’s Sleep by Stefanie Simpson
- Adjacent by Alexandra Warren
- Replacement by Alexandra Warren
- Displacement by Alexandra Warren
- Home by Jezz deSilva
- A Tale of Two Cities: A New Year Novella by Alexandra Warren
- Cindra: A Paranormal Fairytale by Siera London
- All I Want for Christmas by Nicole Falls
- Relationship Goals by Christina Jones
- Everything She Never Wanted by Tasha Harrison
- In Her Wildest Dreams by Farrah Rochon
- A Little Bit Naughty by Farrah Rochon
- Feud by Phyllis Bourne
- Just A Little Taste by Farrah Rochon
- I Dare You! by Farrah Rochon
- All You Can Handle by Farrah Rochon
- Anyway You Want It by Farrah Rochon
- Anytime You Need Me by Farrah Rochon
So clearly I killed my goal in under two months. Clearly I have a book addiction. No I don’t need a support group. My Twitter Loves are all the support I need.
I upped my goal. Decided to got to 105.
Because clearly, I am going to slow down at some point. I know me. I am a turtle. I am a sloth. I will slow down.
MARCH READING LOG
- Haunted by Christina Jones
- You Out of Nowhere by Jay E. Tria
- A Tale of Two Cities: A Valentine’s Novella by Alexandra Warren
- Valentine Rush by Stephanie Norris
- Be Mine by Savannah Frierson
- As Sweet by Holley Trent
- So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon
- Syx Whole Weeks by Grey Huffington
- So Right by Rebekah Weatherspoon
- So For Real by Rebekah Weatherspoon
- The Way Home by Stefanie Simpson
- Love Notes by Christina Jones
- Being Neighborly by Meka James
- Layover by Katrina Jackson
- Grow Something by Christina Jones
- Rouge Acts by Molly O’Keefe
- A Taste For Temptation by Phyllis Bourne
- Sweeter Temptation by Phyllis Bourne
- Writing Her In by Holley Trent
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- Spice and Smoke by Suleikha Snyder
- Last First Kiss by Nicole Falls
- Pushing Thirty by Necole Ryse
- Coveted by Christina Jones
- Keeper of Keys by Bernice McFadden
- Soft on Soft by Em Ali
- Cuffing Season by Danielle Allen
- Can’t Escape Love by Alyssa Cole
- Extra Extra by Chris Stevens
- Getting Schooled by Christina Jones
- Pulling Doubles by Christina Jones
- Bending the Rules by Christina Jones
- Christmas With The Wrights by Christina Jones
- Love at First Spite by Alexandra Warren
- In Spite of it All by Alexandra Warren
- Accidental Arrangements by Alexandra Warren
- Adore You by Nicole Falls
- Smitten by Nicole Falls
- Then Came You by Nicole Falls
- Blizzard Bliss by Kelly Maher
- Damaged Goods by Talia Hibbert
- Happily Ever After by Turtleberry
- The Holiday Inn by Phyllis Bourne
So yeah… I am on a roll.
That is 96 books in the first quarter. I have read more books than there are days in the year. I feel like a superhero.
Addressing a few points:
- Yes, yes I know I read a lot of novellas and they are half the size of novels. I still get some novels in. I figure eventually I will have read all the romance novellas out there and be stuck with longer books. LOL
- Clearly, I have a few authors I am now addicted too. I will read the entire backlog of Christina C. Jones, Alexandra Warren, and Nicole Falls before the summer. I only have one more book by DL White to read and that is on deck for this week.
- Yup. You read it right. I read one of my own books. They bring me joy. I am a fan of myself.
I know I will be upping the reading goal this week. I am not sure where I will take it. Stay tuned for more on that.
Check me out on Goodreads to see how I rated the books. I will say now that no book rated less than three stars because I would have tossed it in the DNF pile. I don’t force myself to read books I don’t like. I will be posting a post about what my rating system means.
Until then… I got books to read.